Another busy year at Castle Loch
Some of the 2015 achievements…
- Over 750 hours donated by volunteers (with a value of over £6700).
- Winner of the RSPB’s Nature of Scotland best Community Initiative award.
- Built a new bird hide.
- Created new sections of footpath.
- Improved path access by replacing bridge steps with ramps and removed kissing gates.
- 1400 people walking the loch circuit each month.
- Cleared invasive/unwanted plants such as Himalayan balsam, American skunk cabbage, and rhododendron.
- Surveyed the grassland and discovered 120+ flora species.
- Over 80 bryophytes (mosses) found across the site.
- National coverage on BBC Radio Scotland’s ‘Out of Doors’ program and regular features in the local press.
- Lots of work with local youth groups: Jaybees Nursery, Lochmaben Primary and Nursery, Lochmaben 1st Girl Guides, Duke of Edinburgh Awards…
- Carried out questionnaires about future use of Lochfield Cottage.
- Cleared old fencing and did lots of litter picking.
- Put in new signage and fingerposts.